02 February 2009

a few thoughts from a recent bride

























It's hard to believe I've already been married for 7 months! It feels like forever, but it feels like a day. It's really difficult to describe my bond with Will, because it runs so deep. It ran deep before we ever got married.
We were best friends for four years.
We are best friends today.

It definitely is awesome to share every part of your life with someone, no matter how boring or exciting it is. I am so thankful for him. He keeps me humble, stable, loving, responsible, informed, inspired, dare i say... athletic?!? He is SO good for me. He loves me so well.

Thinking back to our wedding day, and all the plans that went before it, I do believe that I have a great advantage as a young wedding photographer today.
I was just there.
I still feel the need to plan all the time because all I did was PLAN like crazy for 14 months. And let me tell you, choosing a photographer was the hardest decision of all!

I definitely had my criteria:
• artistic yet classic. i wanted up to date trendy photos that weren't too edited and weren't too over the top.
• professional. i had to know that whoever was taking my photos had great training and experience.
• easy-to-understand-packages. clean cut and simple. i didn't want to pay someone by the hour, and i wanted full coverage with an album included.
• easygoing. i mean seriously, this is HUGE. no matter how calm you are, your wedding day will be hectic. i needed a photographer who was laid back, but who also knew how to take charge.
• flush-mount coffee table wedding album. period! i just had to have one!
• affordable. weddings are expensive.

At first I didn't know this was my criteria. I just started searching and searching. But as I found more and more out about different styles of photography and different ways photographers offer their services, I eventually knew exactly what I wanted. When I found it, you better believe I was on the phone booking my date! 

My criteria as a bride has translated into my criteria as a photographer. My goal is to meet every single one of my own requirements, and exceed them! I am excited that I can confidently say I have met each one listed above, and I am in the process of taking all of them to the next level.
• artistic yet classic.
that's definitely my style.
• professional.
i have a degree in technical photography from appalachian state university, with training in fashion, studio, product, black & white, and large format. i have been photographing weddings for 2 years now.
• easy-to-understand-packages. clean cut and simple.
i offer 3 simple packages. full coverage and albums included.
• easygoing.
i love to laugh and enjoy the day. i have a wonderful time photographing weddings, but i can be a "taskmaster" (as my friends call me) when i need to be.
• flush-mount coffee table wedding album.
i am a little bit obsessed with the albums i offer. i want one of my own. it's a brand new album company, and the leather is so beautiful and soft. the printing is the highest of quality. minimum of 20 pages, and i design them myself. they are WONDERFUL.
• affordable. 
check!

continuing on...
I am also creating beautiful DVD slideshows for my clients, which truly invokes emotions from the day. it's a beautiful way to view your wedding photos.
• i am on my way to becoming a "boutique photographer." i hope to combine my photographs with different services that fit the style of my clients (such as graphic design, frames, wall layouts, etc.) if they so desire.
• challenges and projects - this is mainly for my personal growth as a photographer, but i am constantly busy with
something. i always want to better myself. i have so many goals as i continue to grow.

so these are just a few things i was thinking about. i am excited to "be" the photographer i looked for for SO long. hopefully i can make a few more searches a little less stressful.

Since I was just there 7 months ago, planning and choosing different vendors, I can relate to all of you who are in the process of doing-something-every-day-for-the-wedding. Hang in there... it will definitely be worth it!

and just for fun, here is our engagement website that i had already forgotten about! enjoy :)

photo: compliments of my dear friend, samantha crowder




On a lighter note, I found this hilarious Q&A with a bunch of kids. ENJOY!

Kids contemplate marriage.

How would you make your marriage work?
Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a truck.
Ricky, age 10

How can a stranger tell if two people are married?
You might have to guess, based on whether they seem to be yelling at the same kids.
Derrick, age 8

What do you think your mom and dad have in common?
Both don’t want any more kids.
Lori, age 8

What do most people do on a date?
Dates are for having fun, and people should use them to get to know each other. Even boys have something to say if you listen long enough.
Lynnette, age 8 (isn’t she a treasure?)
On the first date, they just tell each other lies and that usually gets them interested enough to go for a second date.
Martin, age 10

What would you do on a first date that was turning sour?
I’d run home and play dead. The next day I would call all the newspapers and make sure they wrote about me in all the dead columns.
Craig, age 9

When is it okay to kiss someone?
When they’re rich.
Pam, age 7
The law says you have to be eighteen, so I wouldn’t want to mess with that.
Curt, age 7
The rule goes like this: If you kiss someone, then you should marry them and have kids with them. It’s the right thing to do.
Howard, age 8

What is the right age to get married?
Twenty-three is the best age because you know the person FOREVER by then.
Camille, age 10
No age is good to get married at. You got to be a fool to get married.
Freddie, age 6 (very wise for his age)

Is it better to be single or married?
I don’t know which is better, but I’ll tell you one thing. I’m never going to have sex with my wife. I don’t want to be all grossed out.
Theodore, age 8
It’s better for girls to be single but not for boys. Boys need someone to clean up after them.
Anita, age 9 (bless you child)

How do you decide whom to marry?
You got to find somebody who likes the same stuff. Like, if you like sports, she should like it that you like sports, and she should keep the chips and dip coming.
Alan, age 10
No person really decides before they grow up who they’re going to marry. God decides it all way before, and you get to find out later who you’re stuck with.
Kristen, age 10

Content reprinted from Divine Caroline